Proximity to open space is one of our most attractive and envied features in Hidden Hills. But along with that comes greater interaction with wildlife, including coyotes. Hazing is an effective method for keeping coyotes wild and wary.
Coyotes are smart adaptable canines that have learned to survive, and often thrive, in urban and residential areas. Here are some tips to keep coyotes wild – and away from your home.
- Do not leave pets unsupervised outside and keep livestock in secure pens at night
- Install electric fencing to keep coyotes out of chicken coops and animal enclosures
- Remove unsecured trash, human or pet food, bird feeders, ripe fruit, and strongly scented items from your yard
- Keep trash and compost in secure bins
- Trim ground-level shrubbery to reduce hiding places
Click HERE for effective tips on what, when, and how to haze a coyote.
For more information on living with coyotes, please visit wildlife.ca.gov/keep-me-wild/coyote.