Following the third consecutive year of a severe drought and water shortage, the Las Virgenes Municipal Water District has announced additional limitations on water usage. Effective May 1, residential outdoor water budgets have been reduced by 50%. Additionally, a one-day-per-week watering restriction will go into effect on June 1.
Every Las Virgenes Municipal Water District (LVMWD) residential customer has a specialized budget that is unique to the customer’s property. The budget has two parts – an INDOOR budget and an OUTDOOR budget. The District is NOT asking every customer to cut back their water use by 50% compared to some historical amount. Rather, they are reducing every customer’s OUTDOOR water budget by 50%.
Penalties for Exceeding Water Budget:
• 1st penalty: A warning will be provided along with an estimate of what the penalty amount would have been.
• 2nd penalty: An extra charge of $2.50 per unit of water (748 gallons) over 150% of water budget.
• 3rd penalty: An extra charge of $5.00 per unit of water over 150% of budget. Customers that receive a 3rd or subsequent penalties are also subject to the installation of a flow restriction device.
• 4th penalty: An extra charge of $7.50 per unit of water over 150% of budget.
• 5th and subsequent penalties: An extra charge of $10.00 per unit of water over 150% of budget.
To learn more about water budgets, visit www.lvmwd.com/for-customers/water-budgets.
In addition, the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, who provides water to LVWMD, recently adopted an Emergency Water Conservation Program that will require additional conservation efforts. Based on this, LVMWD will further limit outdoor irrigation to 1 day per week effective June 1. Residents with even addresses will be permitted to irrigate on Tuesdays and those with odd addressees on Thursdays, for eight minutes per irrigation station. Exceptions to the proposed watering restriction including hand-watering of trees and other perennials, drip irrigation systems, and certain other high efficiency irrigation systems. This decision is in direct response to the Metropolitan Water District announcement.
Penalties for Non-Compliance with One-Day-Per-Week Irrigation:
• 1st penalty: A warning will be provided
• 2nd penalty: $100 fine
• 3rd penalty: $200 fine
• 4th and subsequent penalties: $500 fine
• 5th time within 12 months penalty: A flow restriction device will be installed or service terminated
For more information, residents can visit www.lvmwd.com/droughtresponse.
Water District Town Hall Meeting
LVMWD hosted a virtual town hall meeting on May 11 to provide customers with an update on the water supply situation and drought water use restrictions. A recording of the meeting and downloadable materials are available at www.LVMWD.com/TownHall for customers to review.
The City Council and staff are in constant communication with LVMWD officials on these measures and the state of the drought. The City will continue to provide information as received. Residents are encouraged to visit the LVMWD website www.lvmwd.com to stay informed or call the Water District at 818-251-2100.